Saturday 4 August 2012

Fishing for trout with my eldest son

We recently went on our first family camping trip to the sea side. My eldest son was desperate for a fishing rod so I gave in and got him a kids fishing rod. It was a bit rubbish and whilst down on the local pier we didn't catch a thing, no surprises there. So when we got home I promised him we'd do some 'proper' fishing. So a couple of afternoons ago we went to our local trout fishery, there were people there with their professional equipment, silly hats and camouflaged jackets. James and I turned up with his little fishing rod, a few hooks and a loaf of bread, we got a few looks but we were about to have the last laugh. First cast and boom! Line snapped! 15 minutes later and we had 2 rather large trout in our cool box! We didn't see anyone else catch anything and got back into the car feeling a bit proud of ourselves.
Trout!

When we got home I asked 'James shall we have fish for dinner?' 'The fish we caught? No way!'  Fair enough, so it was up to me and my wife to eat the freshest fish we've ever had in our house. I wanted a dish that would reflect the freshness of the fish and decided on Trout ceviche Oriental style. Here's the recipe:

Serves 2
2 fillets of trout (pin boned)
Juice of 2 limes
Splash of balsamic vinegar
Splash of olive oil
1/2 chilli
1 garlic glove
1/2 a bunch of coriander
Seasoning
A few lettuce leaves
8 cherry tomatoes


Blitz all of the ingredients in a food processor (except the fish, lettuce and tomatoes). Slice the trout into strips, cover the fish with the processed ingredients and leave for 20 minutes. Arrange some of the lettuce and tomatoes on a plate top with the fish and serve! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment